National Science Honor Society
Walton Stem Science Expo & Science Fair
Competitive Judging-Saturday, January 20, 2024 9:30am -12:00 pm
Community Expo Wednesday, January 24, 2024 5:00-7:30 pm
Start planning now to share your love of science.
There are three ways to participate.
in the Science Fair. Your project will be judged by community and school science professionals. Top winning projects will compete at the Cobb & Paulding Regional Science Fair. Winning projects advance to the Georgia Science and Engineering Fair and possibly the International Science and Engineering Fair. Tips for a Successful Science Fair
a display of a science, math, or engineering topic of interest. The display will not be judged but it will be available for the public to view.
a science, math, or engineering activity for elementary and middle school students.
Complete the registration by 12/8/23 to save a place for the event. Link
Science National Honor Society
Science National Honor Society (SNHS) Objectives:
- Encourage and recognize scientific and intellectual thought
- Advance student knowledge of classical and modern science
- Communicate with the scientific community
- Aid the civic community with its comprehension of science
- Encourage students to participate in community service and in turn, encourage a dedication to the pursuit of scientific knowledge that benefits all humankind.
SNHS Requirements for provisional membership:
- A member must be a junior or senior during the membership year.
- A member must be enrolled in at least one Honors or AP science course during each year of high school; beginning with the sophomore year.
- A member must maintain a 3.5 overall weighted GPA, and a 3.7 weighted GPA in all science courses.
- All members must maintain behavior that is acceptable and within the guidelines of Walton High School. Students with a record of cheating, skipping classes, out of school suspensions, etc, will not be selected for society and are subject to dismissal from the society.
- Recommendations and comments from the science department instructors will occur after the submission of applications.
- Completion of 8 hours of service in the first year and 4 hours during the second year will earn an SNHS honor cord.
- A fee for joining the Science National Honor Society will be a one-time payment of $30 dollars upon acceptance. This fee includes graduation honor cord, certificate of membership, national membership dues, t-shirt, refreshments and activities. Second year membership, a maintenance fee of $ 10 dollars will be required to pay for the t-shirt.
Full induction and membership is rewarded once a student has been accepted as a provisional member, completed 8 hours of science based service, and paid the initial fees .