National Science Honor Society
Science National Honor Society
Science National Honor Society (SNHS) Objectives:
- Encourage and recognize scientific and intellectual thought
- Advance student knowledge of classical and modern science
- Communicate with the scientific community
- Aid the civic community with its comprehension of science
- Encourage students to participate in community service and in turn, encourage a dedication to the pursuit of scientific knowledge that benefits all humankind.
SNHS Requirements for membership:
- A member must be a rising junior or rising senior.
- A member must be enrolled in at least one Honors or AP science course during each year of high school; beginning with the sophomore year.
- A member must maintain a 3.5 overall weighted GPA, and a 3.7 weighted GPA in all science courses.
- All members must maintain behavior that is acceptable and within the guidelines of Walton High School. Students with a record of cheating, skipping classes, out of school suspensions, etc, will not be selected for society and are subject to dismissal from the society.
- Recommendations and comments from the science department instructors will occur after the submission of applications.
- 5 hours science related community service per semester.
- 2 of the total 5 can be served with another science related club at Walton with which you are already participating. You may not double claim those hours for service chords. Example, if you have served 2 hours in Science Club, those hours can go towards your SNHS total requirement, but you cannot count that as 4 hours in guidance.
- 2 of the total 5 hours can come from science guest speakers, Science Enrichment Opportunities offered through SNHS.
- A fee for joining Science National Honor Society will be a one-time payment of $25 dollars due upon acceptance. This fee includes graduation honor cord, certificate of membership, national membership dues, refreshments and activities. Each year a maintenance fee of $15 dollars will be required.