- The meeting was Called to Order by Beverly Titlow, VP at 6:32 p.m.
- Dr. Mallanda reviewed the budget to date. Everything is running smoothly. Great deal of expenses because of Phase II construction coming to completion. Technology is being updated in many areas; laptops, laptop carts and iPads are being purchased.
- Board was brought up-to-date on the construction. Project is on time. It is projected we will be in the new building on July 15, 2019. Complete unveiling of the new Walton Campus is expected to occur on Homecoming Weekend (November 1, 2019).
- Dr Mallanda announced that the staff is fully certified and hired for next year.
- Contingency plans for Orientation are arranged for JFBC on 7/29 should the parking not be completed at Walton.
- Plans for a Kindness presentation for the Walton student body in November are scheduled.
- New Art showcase will have it’s opening on September 16th
- Walton is working with the Walton cluster schools to have a ‘Families together’ celebration twice next year where there will be no homework and families will commit to spending time with one another.
- Staff is organizing Common Planning sessions for all Core Subjects.
- Adjournment: Beverly Titlow, VP
Meeting Adjourned at 7:28 by Beverly Titlow, VP
Members Present: Beverly Titlow, Marcus Fondon, Sallie Winokur, Leslie McLeod. Absent: Craig Shoemaker
Walton Governing Board Meeting
March 12, 2019
- Craig Shoemaker called the meeting to order at 6:35 p.m.
- January minutes were approved by the board
- Proposed Special Education Services MOU with Cobb County was reviewed and discussed. It was determined that further discussion on services is needed before voting on the MOU.
- Mallanda reviewed the budget with the board. Walton is on track for the fiscal year.
- Mallanda discussed some recent spending on items in preparation for the opening of the new building for the next school year including iPad carts and laptop carts.
- The Walton construction project was discussed with all its moving parts for the staff and students. Safety for all is the primary focus. Project is behind schedule due to rain, but construction company is confident it will open on-time for 2019 – 2020 school year. Walton campus will be closed for the most part this summer to facilitate the project being completed.
The Board Convened to Executive Session at 7:05 p.m.
The next WGB meeting is Tuesday, April 9, 2019 at 6:30 p.m.
Walton High School
Governing Board Meeting
January 8, 2019
- Call to Order: Meeting was called to order by Beverly Titlow, Vice Chairman at 6:28 p.m.
- October 8, 2018 Minutes were approved by the board
- Dr. Mallanda reviewed Walton’s budget and Instructional Allotments with the board. The school is on track.
- Concerns were discussed regarding the decrease in Athletic Department Budget. Dr. Mallanda listed reasons for the decrease including lagging attendance because of so many televised games and GHSA streaming options for games seem to keep adults and students at home during the cold weather.
- Old Business: Special Education Services’ Assessment by staff was discussed.
- New Business:
- Rough Draft of a Memorandum of Understanding was distributed to the Board.
- The Board will review MOU and make suggestions/corrections via email.
- WGB will vote on the MOU at March 12, 2019 meeting.
- Final Training with Tony Arasi on February 12, 2019 5:00p.m. – 9:00 pm
- Discussion of Walton’s Charter agreement student number of 2680 students was discussed due to additional classroom additions in the new building which will be completed next school year. As well as Walton’s inability to honor CCSD staff perk of school choice for CCSD employee’s students at our school.
- Comments, Announcements and other Business:
- Walton received two (2) awards:
- 2018 Gold Award in the Greatest Gains category for exhibiting high growth in student achievement which means the student growth over the last three years has been in the top 3% for the state.
- Walton received a Platinum Award in the Highest Performing category for exhibiting high academic performance which means the overall achievement of our school over the last three years has been in the top 1% of the state.
- Adjournment: Meeting was adjourned by B. Titlow at 7:10 p.m.
- Walton received two (2) awards: