Wednesday, September 14, 2016
Dear Walton Community,
The state released information about the 2017 Governor’s Honors Program on Tuesday, September 13, so we are promptly beginning the process of nominating students to attend next summer’s program. This is a four-week college-like program for the most talented students in our state, offered free of charge for students who earn one of the coveted positions!
There are a number of majors that students can apply for:
- Academic: Mathematics, Science, Social Studies, Communicative Arts (English), French, Spanish, Latin, German, Mandarin Chinese
- Careers & Technology: Design, Mechanical & Electrical Engineering, and Software Engineering
- Fine Arts: Dance, Music, Theatre, Visual Arts
What IS GHP?
- State GHP Info Page: http://gosa.georgia.gov/governors-honors-program
- Review the GHP website to determine which area your student might be interested in studying.
Below you will find dates and links that will provide general information about the GHP program and the student application process. All questions regarding the GHP Nomination Process at Walton should be directed to Jasenda League (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Foreign Language (Spanish, French, Latin, German, and Mandarin Chinese)
English (Communicative Arts)
Business (Architectural, Graphic, & Industrial Design; Technology; Agricultural Science)
Fine Arts (Dance, Music, Theatre, and Visual Arts)
Important Dates and Times for 2016-17 Walton GHP Selection Process:
- Informational meetings for all interested students – in B-202 (English Hall)
o Tuesday, September 20 – 7:50 am
o Tuesday, September 20 – 3:30 pm
- Interest Email due to coordinator for your major – Friday, September 23rd @ 1:00 pm
- Each department will conduct its own interviews and selection process.
- Department nominees’ names submitted – Wednesday, October 5th
- Application packets due for department-selected students – Tuesday, October 11th *Provide
a copy of your application (Room B202) and email it to Jasenda.League@cobbk12.org
no later than 8:30 a.m.
- School-level Academic Area interviews – Thursday, October 13th – all day
- School-level Fine Arts Area interviews – Friday, October 14th – all day
- School-level finalists posted – Tuesday, October 18th on the door of B-202
General GHP Dates:
- October 18, 2016 - School Nomination Lists Due to County
- November 3, 2016 - Academic and Technical/ Business County Interviews: Sprayberry HS
- November 7, 2016 - Fine Arts Interviews/ Auditions: Pebblebrook HS
- State notifies semi-finalists
- November 18, 2016 - State Application Portal opens
- December 14, 2016 - Deadline for completed online student nominee forms, including all required documents and files (transcripts, teacher recommendations, etc.)
- January 27, 2017 - Notification of state semi-finalists by email
- February 25, 2017 - State Interview Day *This is the last day of winter break. Make travel plans accordingly. There are no makeup interviews.
- March 31, 2017 - Finalists notified of selection and acceptance requirements/timeline
- April 7, 2017 - Finalists acceptance deadline
- May 5, 2017 - Required Forms Deadline
- June 18th – July 15th Summer 2017 - Governor’s Honors Program at Berry College
If you are selected by a department, you will need to work with your nominating teacher on the complete application, which, if you are one of Walton’s final selections, will be due October 7th. The application documents can be found at the bottom of this post.
- You should fill out your part of the application completely! Do a very good job and give thoughtful, detailed answers. This part REALLY matters.
- The teacher recommendation should be sent to a teacher who knows you well as a student in your major content. You might need to help them with information about awards and leadership. Make sure you give them enough time to do a good job – interviewers will make decisions about you based on what your teachers write/don’t write about you.
- You must get a copy of your PSAT scores ONLY if you are interviewing for Math or Science. If you don’t have them to attach, ask the records room to make you a copy.
- You need to request a hard copy of your transcript from the records room as soon as possible and attach this to your application where indicated.
- Please follow the directions carefully and take the time to polish it accordingly, including the directions to sign in blue ink and a consistency in fonts.