August 31, 2023
Dear Walton Community,
The state released information about the 2023-24 Governor’s Honors Program, so we are promptly beginning the process of nominating students to attend next summer’s program. This is a four-week college-like program for the most talented students in our state, offered free of charge for students who earn one of the coveted positions!
There are several majors that students can apply for:
- Academic: Mathematics, Science, Social Studies, Communicative Arts (English), French, Spanish, Latin, German, Mandarin Chinese
- Careers & Technology: Design, Mechanical & Electrical Engineering, and Software Engineering
- Fine Arts: Dance, Music, Theatre, Visual Arts
What IS GHP?
- State GHP Info Page: http://gosa.georgia.gov/governors-honors-program
- Review the GHP website to determine which area your student might be interested in studying.
Below you will find dates and links that will provide general information about the GHP program and the student application process. All questions regarding the GHP Nomination Process at Walton should be directed to Jasenda League (Jasenda.League@cobbk12.org).
Each department will conduct its own interviews and selection process.
Contact the department coordinator for your area of nomination for more information about deadlines.
World Language (Spanish, French, Latin, German, and Mandarin Chinese)
Tobie Hendricks (Tobie.Hendricks@cobbk12.org)
Melissa Tatman (Melissa.Tatman@cobbk12.org)
English (Communicative Arts)
Erin Guthrie (Erin.Guthrie@cobbk12.org)
Joe League (Joseph.League@cobbk12.org)
Whit Hubbard (Whitney.Hubbard@cobbk12.org)
Business (Architectural, Graphic, & Industrial Design; Technology; Agricultural Science)
Perry Holbrook (Perry.Holbrook@cobbk12.org)
Fine Arts (Dance, Music, Theatre, and Visual Arts)
- There will be two informational meetings for all interested students in room 322 on
Wednesday, September 6th – 7:50 am and 3:30 pm.
- All students interested in applying must express interest via email to the department coordinator by Friday, September 8th by the end of the school day.
- Academic and World Language interviews will take place throughout the day on Wednesday, October 11th.
- Fine Arts Auditions & Applications (3 printed copies) will be due Wednesday, September 20th during WEB. Applicants need to let their ensemble director know of their interest.
- You should fill out your part of the application completely. Do a very good job and give thoughtful, detailed answers. This part REALLY matters.
- The teacher recommendation should be sent to a teacher who knows you well as a student in your major content. You might need to help them with information about awards and leadership. Make sure you give them enough time to do a good job – interviewers will make decisions about you based on what your teachers write/don’t write about you.
- Do not ask for a copy of your PSAT scores or transcript from the records room. The school GHP coordinator will do this for you.
- Please follow the directions carefully and take the time to polish it accordingly, including the directions to sign in blue ink and a consistency in fonts.
Best of luck!