September 18, 2017
Dear Walton Community,
The state released information about the 2018 Governorâ€™s Honors Program, so we are promptly beginning the process of nominating students to attend next summerâ€™s program. This is a four-week college-like program for the most talented students in our state, offered free of charge for students who earn one of the coveted positions!
There are a number of majors that students can apply for:
- Academic: Mathematics, Science, Social Studies, Communicative Arts (English), French, Spanish, Latin, German, Mandarin Chinese
- Careers & Technology: Design, Mechanical & Electrical Engineering, and Software Engineering
- Fine Arts: Dance, Music, Theatre, Visual Arts
What IS GHP?
- State GHP Info Page: http://gosa.georgia.gov/governors-honors-program
- Review the GHP website to determine which area your student might be interested in studying.
Below you will find dates and links that will provide general information about the GHP program and the student application process. All questions regarding the GHP Nomination Process at Walton should be directed to Jasenda League (Jasenda.League@cobbk12.org).
Mary Crittenden (Mary.Crittenden@cobbk12.org)
Foreign Language (Spanish, French, Latin, German, and Mandarin Chinese)
Tobie Hendricks (Tobie.Hendricks@cobbk12.org)
Melissa Tatman (Melissa.Tatman@cobbk12.org)
English (Communicative Arts)
Erin Guthrie (Erin.Guthrie@cobbk12.org)
Jennifer West (Jennifer.West@cobbk12.org)
Lori Foltz (Lorene.Foltz@cobbk12.org)
Business (Architectural, Graphic, & Industrial Design; Technology; Agricultural Science)
Sara Grimes (Sara.Grimes@cobbk12.org)
Fine Arts (Dance, Music, Theatre, and Visual Arts)
- Each department will conduct its own interviews and selection process.
Contact the department coordinator for your area of nomination for more information
about application deadlines and interview times.
- School-level Fine Arts Area interviews â€“ Wednesday, September 20th â€“ WEB
- School-level Academic Area interviews â€“ Monday, October 9th â€“ all day
General GHP Dates:
- November 2 - Academic and Technical/ Business County Interviews: Sprayberry HS
- November 6 - Fine Arts Interviews/ Auditions: Pebblebrook HS
- December 15 - Deadline for completed online student nominee application
- January 26 - Notification of state semi-finalists by email
- February 24 - State Interview Day *This is the last day of winter break. Make travel plans accordingly. There are no makeup interviews.
- March 30 - Finalists notified of selection and acceptance requirements/timeline
- April 9 - Finalists acceptance deadline
- May 4 - Required Forms Deadline
- June 17 - July 14 Summer 2018 - Governorâ€™s Honors Program at Berry College
If you are selected by a department, you will need to work with your nominating teacher on the complete application. See the application documents below.
- You should fill out your part of the application completely! Do a very good job and give thoughtful, detailed answers. This part REALLY matters.
- The teacher recommendation should be sent to a teacher who knows you well as a student in your major content. You might need to help them with information about awards and leadership. Make sure you give them enough time to do a good job â€“ interviewers will make decisions about you based on what your teachers write/donâ€™t write about you.
- I will get a copy of your PSAT scores ONLY if you are interviewing for math or science. Please do not request a hard copy of your test scores or transcript from the records, as they are currently inundated with college admissions requests.
- Please follow the directions carefully and take the time to polish it accordingly, including the directions to sign in blue ink and a consistency in fonts.
- Walton Academic and CTAE Application
- Walton Fine Arts GHP Application
- Best and Brightest (GHP 2016 Documentary) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpFF49qs3Ek
- We are GHP (2016 Documentary) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1UsCExBB5U
- Why GHP? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf20lyRS8uM